Saturday, April 24, 2010

You know you're pregnant, right?







Baby's first ultrasound - 8.5 weeks

Truthfully, I just assumed it was a crazy bug I picked up while traveling and being on TDY with my husband for 3.5 months before he left for deployment.  So when the Urgent Care doctor walked in and said "you know you're pregnant, right?" I am pretty sure I turned pale as a ghost and just sat there in shock.  Um, no, what did you say?  Maybe you have the wrong patient?  My husband is deployed and has been gone for 2 weeks...  well, I guess it could be possible.  Wow.  Are you sure?

And so began my pregnancy journey!


The only complaint I have about being pregnant so far is definitely the morning sickness!  Who decided to call it that anyway?  "Morning sickness" is so misleading... I had always heard other women talk about how they were sick all day, every day and I felt like that must be horrible but surely it can't really last all day, every single day.  Now, I'm living it and it really is HORRIBLE and it really does last all day, every single day!  


I wish I could say that as I'm entering my 10th week things are starting to get better, but unfortunately I'm still suffering hard core.  I have a wonderful OB who has been working with me for a couple weeks now to find the right combination of prescription medication that will control my symptoms enough to at least let me keep some food/fluids in my system and stay out of the hospital.  Right now I'm taking a combination of 5 medications staggered throughout the day.  I had a couple days this last week where I felt so good, I was actually worried about whether or not the baby was ok but it wasn't long before I was back to feeling totally awful. Now that I'm back in the awful stage it feels like its worse than ever, and the days last so much longer when you feel so miserable that you can't do anything!

The saddest part of all of this is that as of tonight I am going to have to start wearing my wedding rings on a chain (with my husband's ring since he couldn't take his with him) because they will no longer stay on my fingers securely.  I've lost 24lbs since finding out I was pregnant.  I guess if he were here, it wouldn't be such a big deal to not be able to wear them, but with him gone it just feels really hard to take them off - even if only for a little while.  Maybe I'll take a trip to the hardware store and pick up my own rubber "o" ring to wear in place of my wedding rings, just like my husband is doing for the duration of this deployment.  Make lemons out of lemonade, right?

This "all day, every day" sickness will hopefully get the heck outta my system in the next few weeks.  Since I will be heading into my 2nd trimester right around Mother's Day I can't help but think that it'd be great timing to start feeling good again.  Honestly though, in spite of the morning sickness I am just feeling so amazingly blessed to officially be a mama-to-be.  I can't wait to see what God has in store for my husband and I as we grow together and learn to be parents, and how God is going to work in the life of our little one.

I'll leave you with the chorus of this song, These are the words by Sidewalk Prophets. It just plays over and over in my head when I think about our little one and what I can't wait to tell him/her about the world and our wonderful Savior.




Be strong in the Lord and never give up hope.
You're going to do great things, I already know.
God's got His hand on you so don't live life in fear.
Forgive and forget, but don't forget why you're here.
Take your time and pray.
Thank God for each day.
His love will find a way.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Raising Monkey Loving Sarge on Facebook!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I am so excited for you guys! Congratulations, again! :)

Cat said...

Thank you Sara! We're very excited too!

Post a Comment