Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies and mommies-to-be!

A very special Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful Mom!


(My Mom and I on my wedding day - 6.28.08)

Today I find myself reflecting about last year's very special Mother's Day and missing my mom an awful lot more than usual.  I'm not sure I can ever top the surprise that we pulled off for my mom on Mother's Day 2009.

It just happened to work out, that we were able to drive to Arizona and surprise my mom for Mother's Day last year.  We had not been able to make it back to see my family since a very quick trip to load the moving truck in August 2008. So, we came up with a plan for Mother's Day and somehow we managed to pull it off.  It took us almost 2 non stop days of driving, and we managed to take a wrong turn somewhere along the way so it took us longer than expected, but we still made it to Arizona by Saturday night.

After spending the night in a local hotel, I woke up early Sunday morning to call my mom and wish her a Happy Mother's Day.  She thought we were across the country, so the timing of the call made sense as we would have been getting ready to go to church ourselves.  I almost blew the cover when my mom asked if we were going to church that day and continued the conversation by asking whether or not we had been to the church before.  I quickly piped up yes, we're going to church and its one we've been to before and then I jumped off the phone as quickly as I could before giving anything away!


  

I really wanted to have something to give my mom when we saw her, so we stopped and got some flowers on the way to the church.  We ended up having to hide in a spare room because we beat her to the church!  My husband kept watch (there's a small hole in that door for some reason) and Rusty and I tried to stay hidden.  My dad knew we were coming, but since he's the pastor he was busy greeting people.  He let someone know what was going on so they could give us a signal once my mom went into the sanctuary.  It felt like we were waiting in that little room forever!


   

When we walked into the sanctuary, my mom was greeting some guests.  I tried to hang back a little because I didn't want to be rude, but once a few of the church members saw what was going on they nudged us forward.  I was standing right next to her and she had no clue...  until finally she turned slightly and I said "Happy Mother's Day Mom!!"


For as long as I live, I will never forget that extremely special moment!  I am very lucky to have been blessed with such a wonderful Mom.  I love you, Mom!


Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Raising Monkey Loving Sarge on Facebook!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Aww what a special surprise! :)

Mandi said...

Aww, I loved keeping tabs on this surprise last year, it was so special! And I love that you are now celebrating your first mother's day for yourself!!! You will be a wonderful mother! Love you hon!

The Kinglands said...

LOOOOOVE this story still!!! :o)

Post a Comment