Thursday, May 20, 2010

HG Update - PrimaBella and a PICC line

Yesterday, my PrimaBella arrived.  Tricare overruled the appeal to cover this medical device so I ended up paying for it out of pocket.  I am not sure how I feel about it yet but it was highly recommended by the perinatologist I am seeing so I thought I should probably give it a try.  It is an odd sensation to have my hand grow tingly in almost constant waves.  I have noticed that even though I am still pretty nauseous all day and nothing really touches that, I have thrown up less in the last 2 days than in the 2 days prior.  I think a good part of it has to do with having gone to the ER to get some fluids but perhaps there is something to the science behind the PrimaBella and the way it stimulates the median nerve.

PrimaBella NVP device
(www.primabellarx.com)


I got my PICC line put in today.  I'm 14 weeks pregnant now and have lost over 8% of my body weight.  I've managed to gain back 2lbs of what I've lost but can't seem to gain anymore right now.  I'm on a mostly liquid diet of carnation instant breakfast mixed with ice cold milk.  There are some days where I can tolerate eggo waffles (cooked a very specific way) but other days there is no way I can.  Most other things are not safe foods right now so I don't often try to eat anything solid for fear of going into another bad sick episode.

I really wasn't sure what to expect when I got to the hospital today, but was pleasantly surprised by the end of the procedure.  I didn't even have to change into one of those yucky hospital goes, it didn't take very long and they were able to get it properly placed on the first try.

I was warned that it would hurt when they were numbing my arm.  Truthfully, it did hurt but it was not nearly as painful as when the nurses are trying to get an IV in me and they blow vein after vein in their efforts.  It's a relief to know that they can do whatever they need through this PICC line and I won't have to deal with anymore needles.  Plus, there will be a lot less 30 minute drives across town (almost always in bad weather these days!) when I feel miserable because the nurses can home right to our house and take care of almost everything.  They told me it's ok to shower and said the way they taped it wouldn't need any kind of special cover.  I was dreading waiting for one to arrive in the mail since I couldn't find a place locally that would carry a latex free cover for it - it's a relief to not need one because if there is one thing I can't deal with right now it's not being able to be clean! They were able to place it in a way that gives me complete use of my arm, so I'm not worried about not being able to take care of myself.  It makes me feel a lot better to have the fluids because it stops my cycle of not keeping anything down and the oral medications really work decently when I am hydrated properly.

I managed to run a couple errands after getting the PICC in. I needed more milk and a new pillow.  I go through so much mik since I've been drinking mostly healthy protein/breakfast drinks and I've worn out our pillows laying in bed so much, so I headed for Super Target.  I wasn't up to walking around like I usually do but I got what I needed in one stop which was the goal.  I went through the Sonic drive through on the way home and got a grilled cheese.  I managed to keep a few bites down before I knew I couldn't handle anymore.  It sure was worth those couple bites though!  I'm waiting to hear when the home health care nurses will start coming, but it should be in the next day or two that I start getting fluids at home regularly.

I'm beyond thankful for a guardian angel that has come into our life right now.  I have no doubts that God has brought this special person into our life at just the right time.  Through the knowledge I have gained from him, I have been able to pass on to my husband that the doctors I have found here are doing everything they can and they are doing a great job treating this.  It was so great to hear the relief and calm come into my husband's voice this morning when I shared what has gone on this week and all that I have learned.  Not only that, but I have been led to some extremely valuable resources on HG, and they are opening my eyes and helping me to really understand my body.  This knowledge is so valuable when I feel like my body is something I can't control right now.  I hope I can pass on the information and the hope I've been given to others who are going through this as well.

It should only be about 12 more days until we find out the gender of our baby!  It's still going to be a little early at this appointment, but I hope baby will cooperate.  We've not bought anything baby related yet and I'm hoping to save a lot of the shopping for after my husband gets home.  I'm kind of picky and have a hard time finding stuff I like.  Like, I want to find a bouncer that isn't so bright and screams at you and has all kinds of attachments.  I like the more earthy tones I guess because they are just simple.  I'm sure what I want is out there - I just gotta look.  We gotta start figuring out what sort of cloth diaper system we want too.  I am still doing tons of research before making the investment on that one!  However, I'm really excited to decorate his Father's Day care package with gender specific colors/stuff so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that baby wants to share with us early enough to make that happen!

PICC line in place - day 1
14 weeks
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Raising Monkey Loving Sarge on Facebook!

2 comments:

desert-sailor said...

I found you from the HG site...having been a military wife and having gone through HG twice so far, you have my total respect for going through what you are. The Prima Bella looks interesting. How are you liking it so far?

Martita said...

Dear Cat,

I'm sorry that things are so rough right now, I am totally there with. We are due just a month apart (December 2010). I also have a PICC line and I am on TPN. I had never heard of the PrimaBella I am so glad you are feeling just a little relieve. Just know that I am praying for you and thinking of you and your family.

I noticed by reading parts of you blog that we like a lot of the same songs, so I thought I would share a song that has become a theme in the last few months. Hang in there!!!


BEFORE THE MORNING LYRICS - JOSH WILSON

Do you wonder why you have to,
feel the things that hurt you,
if there's a God who loves you,
where is He now?

Maybe, there are things you can't see
and all those things are happening
to bring a better ending
some day, some how, you'll see, you'll see

Chorus:
Would dare you, would you dare, to believe,
that you still have a reason to sing,
'cause the pain you've been feeling,
can't compare to the joy that's coming

so hold on, you got to wait for the light
press on, just fight the good fight
because the pain you've been feeling,
it's just the dark before the morning

My friend, you know how this all ends
and you know where you're going,
you just don't know how you get there
so just say a prayer.
and hold on, cause there's good who love God,
life is not a snapshot, it might take a little time,
but you'll see the bigger picture

Would dare you, would you dare, to believe,
that you still have a reason to sing,
'cause the pain you've been feeling,
can't compare to the joy that's coming

so hold on, you got to wait for the light
press on, just fight the good fight
because the pain you've been feeling,
it's just the dark before the morning
yeah, yeah,
before the morning,
yeah, yeah

Once you feel the way of glory,
all your pain will fade to memory
once you feel the way of glory,
all your pain will fade to memory
memory, memory, yeah

Would dare you, would you dare, to believe,
that you still have a reason to sing,
'cause the pain you've been feeling,
can't compare to the joy that's coming

Would dare you, would you dare, to believe,
that you still have a reason to sing,
'cause the pain you've been feeling,
can't compare to the joy that's coming

com'n, you got to wait for the light
press on, just fight the good fight
because the pain you've been feeling,
it's just the hurt before the healing
the pain you've been feeling,
just the dark before the morning
before the morning, yeah, yeah
before the morning

Post a Comment